Friday, December 18, 2009

Day 5 - 2nd day of adjusting

Day 5 - 2nd day of adjusting.
  Once again we had a 7am start, it was hard to get up because our muscles hurt from all that adjusting the day before. We went to the same delicious restaraunt for our beef noodle breakfast and had two more students with us this time (Melody and Laura). Our next stop was the church from the day before. We set up shop and went back to serving after we adjusted each other of course. A line formed at the door and all the Cambodians were very happy to see us all again. Some were feeling so much better that they brought many of their friends for care as well. Melissa and Hung'a father a wonderful job organizing the patients as they walked in the door.   My first patient here was a woman in a wheel chair who complained of arm pain. She was a stroke patient so she wasn't moving to well (it was extremely difficult to move her on the table because only half of her body was working). After her adjustment she was very pleased with her results and gave me a friendly smile as i lifted her back into her wheelchair. Nothing compares to two of Nicks patients. (I can't do the stories justice so Nick will guest blog for me: well actually I tried to get him to write but her wasn't having it. I will paraphrase what he said... Haha) 
" the first was an ooold Cambodian woman who hobbled in with a main complaint of knee pain. Her left knee was very swollen when looking at it especially compared to the right. During palpation I heard clicking and it wasn't moving too well. I did alI that i knew to her knee to correct what i thought was a meniscus tear. After taking care of her knee i then adjusted the rest of her spine which was pretty knarly. As I was working on her she started praying outloud which made me feel very connected to her. I finished my treatment and she started moving her knee in disbelief because it felt so much better. She then proceeded to get up and jump around throwning her arms around me in a huge prolonged hug. She was crying and repeatedly said hakuun meaning thank you in Cambodian. Everyone around was watching this event transpire and many of the girls were even brought to tears. It definitely made my morning complete. The other patient that I had was a little girl who was pulled off the street. She had blood on her shirt and was in a lot of pain. I found out she had just been hit by a car seconds earlier. The first thing I did was check for fracture and she was clear! So I adjusted her hopeing that when she got off my table she would be back to new. This chiropractic stuff really works!" 
  After we finished up at the church we packed up our things and went back to the orphanage from the day before. The kids jumped for joy as we pulled back in. They offered us lunch which was very authentic ( i believe that this meal could have been the one that took out more of our group.) We enjoyed it with a large group of students from a university from Singapore. Chris and I decided to make conversation with one of them who made fun of me for holding my chopsticks so low. I never even noticed that the proper grip is all the way at the top. We learned about her life and she told us how she had visited  the U.S. (San Fran and Chicago). She then said that her sister went to some school that she couldn't remember the name of... Yeah it was Harvard haha. I asked why they all spoke English to each other and she told me that English is their first language! How crazy is that? Anyways... After lunch we set up our tables and started lining up the kids. This time they knew our routine and loved getting adjusted. We gave the kids stickers so that we knew they were accounted for and had been adjusted only once. We made a donation to the orphanage which included boxes of pens, paper, and NOODLES. They said their thanks and we headed out of their barbed wired gate to a school across the street. This school consisted of about 300 kids! We were only able to stay here for a little over an hour but saw many young children and their teachers. The line was consistantly getting longer but we had to shut down because there were people lined up at the generals house from the day before. So once again we drove back into the city and set up shop in the house. There was in fact a large line already formed in front of the house which was neat to see as we pulled put.. We had such a great time here because everyone was full of energy and truely appeciated what we were doing here in Cambodia for the people. We hit over 250 people today and man I could feel it. I had to take a break near the end of the day because my muscles weren't used to doing all this work. I think it was mainly all the extremity work because I had to remove adhesions from the muscles and wow there were a lot. The people of Cambodia were not whimps, I knew some of what I was doing was painful and they didn't flinch at all. It made all of us Americans look like pansies. We tried to pack up our equiptment multiple times but we would become swamped again and again with more people.. At points I thought the day would never come to an end, It was pretty sweet!
  That night we celebrated our hard work by having American food!! Hold on let me say that one more time AMERICAN FOOD. Mmm it was so good. We had pizza, miditernean salad ( not so American), and pizza! Oh yah baby. Once again we had a phenomonal day. I'm looking forward to tomorrow where we have a break to see the killing fields and the genocide museum. Thanks for reading and if you have any suggestions comments or questions I'm all ears!
( news flash: Laura was put back in the clinic again... She obvously has something that sounds horrible. Thankfully Melody is here taking care of her).  

2 comments:

  1. I feel soo much emotion when I read this! From Nick's experiences (thank you for paraphrasing!)....to all of you eating American food!!~~~And, poor Laura! Thank you so much for keeping us posted! Love from Iowa! Joan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh gosh, I too feel the emotion. What a fabulous experience for all of you. I'm feeling the pain for Laura. Hope the rest of you stay healthy!

    ReplyDelete