Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Day 4 - first day of action!






Day 4 - first day of adjusting
  Today was a day that I will never forget. We started the day waking up at 6 to get ready for the days events. Brad and I taped up Nicks AC joint which he sprained about 5 weeks back. Sadly the tape job didn't really hold due to the humidity and only gave Nick a false sense of security which he took full advantage of.  Our group is 13 strong well kinda... We lost 2 yesterday due to food poisoning, parasite or something. Laura was throwing up for about 20 hours straight and had to go to a health clinic where she was put on an IV. The doctors here took blood from her to look for infection or virus and were waiting on a stool sample to check for parasites. I believe she spent the night in the clinic but they seemed to take good care of her (update: she stayed for 12 hours and it was only 200 dollars). Good thing i've been taking digestive enzymes and liver support to protect myself! Thank you supplements :) let's hope that I'm good for the rest of the trip.
  As the day started our transportation arrived... We knew we would be stylin' as two mercedes vans pulled up to our hotel. These vans will be our transportation for the next 2 weeks. Our first stop was for breakfast where we all slurped up beef noodle soup and ate these lightly fried bread logs with dipping sauce. Not a bad way to start the day!
  We all piled into the vans not truely knowing what to expect for the rest of the day. Our destination was 1 hour away and was definitely out of the major city. We finally pulled off the main road and onto a small single lane dirt road full of bumps and pot holes. The butterflies at this point started to hit our stomachs. It wasn't exactly that we were nervous but that we were excited! The vans finally stopped at a church which was a perfect setup. It was covered, had ceiling fans, and even a stage with lights. Nick jumped up on the stage and busted out some beats on the drums (he even was wearing a bandana and to complete his rocker look... However I thought he looked like one of the basher brothers from the mighty ducks. I wasn't any better because I looked like Steve Erwin with my safari like shirt and shorts. But hey we were comfortable! 
  we set up our tables in a line on the far wall and watched in awe as people started flying thru the door in the first hour we saw about 50 Cambodians... In that time I saw my first patient being wheeled through the door. She was in a wheel chair and was in her 80's. Her helper lifted her out of the chair and put her on my table. For her I decided it would be wise to use an adjusting instrument that is low force and extemely high velocity known as an activator. When I was done adjusting her I saw her eyes light up as she bowed to me with her hands in a prayer like position. It was her way of saying thanks. I mainly had elderly patients and some farm workers. I also had a woman  who was from Singapore and guess what she spoke English! The hardest part about working with the people of Cambodian is the language barrier... It's difficult to move them around the table. We were even given grammar cheat sheets to help but our Cambodian accents were horrible so I used sign language. 
Next we headed back down the road to an orphanage with 60 kids. They were so excited to see us and had huge smiles on all there faces! We set up our tables and went off to work. This was so much fun! They giggled after being adjusted and responded so well. Many of them stuck around to help their friends get adjusted telling them what position they should lay in. At this point we had adjusted over 100 people. When we left all the children at the orphanage they waved goodbye smiling looking forward to the next day when we came back to check them. Our next adventure was to the generals house... That's right the generals house. He volunteered to have us there to treat his whole family and friends. We showed up and there were a ton of people! We were in the middle of phnom penh so it was a much nicer venue. Half of us adjusted in his living room which was more like a garage. His nextdoor neighbor and aunt who was a baller was also kind enough to do the same. The other half set up outside. We saw over 100 here as well making our first day total 204 people. Holy crap I was so sore after I could hardly move and we are going to do the same thing again tomorrow. Hopefully I will survive! 
  we ended the day with a wonderful dinner which was comped by the generals aunt! She LOVED her adjustment. 

P.s. Sorry I know my grammer is horrible but I don't have spell check and try to type in the van. Thank you for dealing with me! Plus feel free to comment on my posts. 

3 comments:

  1. It sounds like you are having once in a lifetime experiences. I am loving your long blogs with all of the details of your days. Hope Laura is on the mend...scary. Be safe, and post more pictures! I have shared your blog with some friends so we are all following your adventures.
    xoxox Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Devin, Thank you so very much for your blogs. I now you have to be tired when you write them. We also love the pics. THANK YOU! What you are doing for those people is priceless! I am so thankful that Nick has such great friends, and that we have met you, Chris, and Phil! WE have also shared your blog with "Iowa" friends of ours and Nicks, so you have people from all over readying:) Stay safe and healthy!
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm Kimberly's mom and I really appreciate your detailed story, feels like I'm there. Great seeing the pictures! Keep up the great writing!

    ReplyDelete